DEPARTMENT OF PERIODONTOLOGY
FROM THE HOD DESK
Periodontics is the branch of dentistry concerned with diseases affecting the tissues and structures that surround teeth. The Department of Periodontics started at NPDCH in the year 2008 under the guidance of Prof. (Dr) Bela Dilip Dave and post graduation program started from the year 2012. From the beginning till date, the department is involved in training undergraduates by empowering them with thorough knowledge and skills in the field of Periodontia that would be helpful to them in the management of patients with periodontal diseases. The postgraduate program in Periodontics aims at producing a graduate competent in teaching, clinical work & research activities. All round training is provided to postgraduate students to enhance and sharpen their surgical skills by performing various periodontal surgeries, periodontal regenerative techniques, and Implants.
The department also actively and enthusiastically organizes various programs. One of the best examples was the Perio Pulse 2013 that was organized by our department on 28th September. The CDE program consisted of scientific lectures on various interesting and vital topics like “Can Periodontal Disease Adversely Affect Systemic Health”, “Periodontal Esthetics” and “Novel Approaches in Treatment of Periodontal Diseases” by eminent and renowned speakers and subject experts like Dr. Mohd Faizuddin, Dr. Archita Kikani, and Dr. Sudhir Patil respectively. In the afternoon session, Pg students and Delegates from colleges all across Gujarat presented scientific papers and Posters on different interesting topics pertaining to Periodontology and also interdisciplinary approaches in dentistry. The program was a grand success and the entire credit goes to respected dean sir, my team of dedicated staff members and my dear PG students and Interns.
The Department has always stood for its “Tradition of Excellence” and shall continue sowing its seeds of wisdom for many more years to come…
|Designation||Name||Qualification||Total Experience||Publications done|
|Prof & HOD||Dr. Hiral A. Parikh||B.D.S., M.D.S.||13 Years 05 Months||18 Articles & 5 Books|
|Professor||Dr. Charu Agarwal||B.D.S., M.D.S.||12 Years 05 Months||19 Articles & 04 Books|
|Professor||Dr. Mittal A. Patel||B.D.S., M.D.S.||10 Years 02 Months||05 Articles|
|Professor||Dr. Shilpa Duseja||B.D.S., M.D.S.||09 Years 04 Months||20 Articles and 2 Books|
|Reader||Dr. Mishal P. Shah||B.D.S., M.D.S.||05 Years 02 Months||24 Articles and 7 Books|
|Lecturer||Dr. Deepaben B. Patel||B.D.S., M.D.S.||01 Year 06 Months||5 Articles and 2 Books|
|Tutor||Dr. Palak Patel||B.D.S.||06 Months||–|
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- More than 10 books and 10 articles have been published by faculty in last 2 years.
- Dr. Hiral Parikh (Prof and HOD) was invited as keynote speaker at KM Shah Dental College and hospital, Vadodara.
- Dr. Siddhi Patira, Dr. Priya Patel, Dr. Rikta Virda, Dr. Kinal Shah got Ist Prize in paper presentation in 47th IDA conference.
- Akash Patel (2nd year PG) won 2nd runner-up prize for scientific paper presentation at CDE program organized at Narsinhbhai Patel Dental College and Hospital, Visnagar in September 2013 under the guidance of Dr. Sudhir Patil.
- The topic of the Presentation: Vestibular Deepening by Periosteal fenestration and Root Coverage by Periosteal pedicle flap.
- Akash Patel (2nd year PG) won 2nd runner-up prize for E-Poster presentation at CDE program organized at Narsinhbhai Patel Dental College and Hospital, Visnagar in September 2013 under the guidance of Dr. Sudhir Patil.
- The topic of the Presentation: Photodynamic Therapy.
- Jigar Kalaria (2nd year PG) won 1st runner-up prize for E-Poster presentation at ‘AIDS DAY’ program organized at Narsinhbhai Patel Dental College and Hospital, Visnagar in December 2013 under the guidance of Dr. Sudhir Patil.
- The topic of the Presentation: Periodontal lesion of HIV and rapid diagnosis test
|SL. NO.||DATE||PROGRAM TYPE*||THEME|
|1.||10/05/16||Clinical case presentations||Perio CUSP|
|2.||01/08/16||Oral hygiene Awareness Programme||Oral Hygiene Day|
|3.||27/01/17||1 day CDE programme on Strategic Implantology by Dr. Virendra Kumar||Perio RAPID|
|4.||20/03/17||Oral health Awareness Programme||Oral Health Day|
|5.||March 17||Clinical case presentations||Perio CUSP|
|6.||01/08/17||Oral hygiene Awareness Programme||Oral Hygiene Day|
|7.||29/09/17||Awareness regarding use of mouthwashes||Listerine Lecture Series|
|8.||20/03/18||Oral health Awareness Programme||Oral Health Day|
|9.||03/05/18||Clinical case presentations||Perio CUSP|
|10.||07/08/18||Oral hygiene Awareness Programme||Oral Hygiene Day|
|11.||17/12/18||Faculty and post graduate students enrichment Programme||Educational upliftment programme for PGs and faculty|
|12.||28th Sept. 2013||CDE Program||Periodontic Pulse|
Surgical procedures performed in the department
Conventional flap surgery
Modified widman flap
Papillary preservation flap
Apically displaced flap
Minor surgical procedure
Free gingival graft
Lateral displaced flap
Coronally advanced flap