Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
About the Department
Welcome to the Department of Paediatric & Preventive Dentistry at the Narsinhbhai Patel Dental College & Hospital, Visnagar. Through its exemplary education research and service programs the department of pediatric dentistry:
- Teaches students and residents the skills necessary for improving and maintaining the health of infants, children, adolescents and person with special needs.
- Trains families effectively in preventive measures which ensure the lifetime of excellent oral health.
- The department promotes oral health within the community and develops policies and guidelines relating to the promotion and maintenance of good oral health among children.
The department was established within the aims of comprehensive training of the undergraduate students to acquire knowledge and skills in order to enable them to effectively deal with the problems encountered in a child. This course consists of didactic practical and clinical components for which the latest equipment and materials are available along with the qualified and efficient staff to supervise. The training is designed to provide the students with broadest possible exposure to pediatric dentistry including outpatient management school dental health programs counseling of parents and children and chair-side general anesthesia for medically compromised patients.
The department is well equipped with 20 dental chairs for U.G and 11 dental chairs for PG and 1 dental chair for isolation room for an uncooperative child. The isolation room is equipped with instruments such as pulse oximeter, wheelchair, Boyle’s apparatus, etc.
An isolation room for special child care, a counseling room equipped with audio-visual aids for educating parents and children. The Audiovisual modes for behavior shaping and management and a wide range of latest dental materials along with facilities are available. The students can lay their hands on the state of the art equipment like RVG, pulp tester, rotary handpiece etc, for clinical work. For preclinical training, we have included orthodontic wire bending along with the fabrication of appliances which is started in the third year of UG’s. Restorative skills are honed with practice on Typhodont before introducing them to patients.
Patients who require full mouth rehab are treated under GA in a safe hospital-based dental unit in the presence of Anaesthesiologist.
The undergraduate training of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry begins from third year BDS onwards, wherein extensive preclinical training if delivered in a state of art environment, to develop their skills of Pediatric operative dentistry before they face a clinical situation.
During their clinical training in the third and final year, they are given exposure to a variety of clinical material in the department and are made to actively participate in the school health programs, which involve education to create oral health awareness and treatment of children from schools in rural areas. The undergraduates are trained in the diagnosis and to handle disabled children with tender loving care.
The care for child patient commences at the reception itself with a warm and affectionate welcome. The friendly and playful atmosphere of the department enhances with the toys in the reception area. Special emphasis and care are given to very young children, who are pre-co-operative and to those who are, physically or mentally handicapped or medically compromised.
This department has the post-graduate training program of three years, which is approved by the Dental Council of India. The post-graduate program in Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry is designed to
- Prepare students to be skilled in improving and maintaining the health of infants, children, adolescents and those with special needs.
- Educate and Guide families in adopting effective preventive measures which will ensure a lifetime of excellent oral health.
- Pursue advocacy activities within the health community and with the public, developing policies and guidelines related to promoting and maintaining the oral health of children.
- Trained to implement with the aid of modern equipment, instruments, and facilities, latest treatment modalities.
B. Individual faculty:
|1.||Prof. & HOD||Dr. Shoba Fernandes||B.D.S., M.D.S.||16 years 05 Months||10|
|2.||Professor||Dr. Jayasudha K.||B.D.S., M.D.S.||09 Years 09 Months||10|
|3.||Reader||Dr. Yash Bafna||B.D.S., M.D.S.||05 Years 08 Months||–|
|4.||Lecturer||Dr. Kuldip R. Shah||B.D.S., M.D.S.||01 Year 10 Months||1|
|5.||Tutor||Dr. Shruti V. Joshi||B.D.S.||02 Months||–|